Alfond Family Dining Hall at The Governor's Academy becomes a 3 Star Certified Green Restaurant®
Byfield, MA – Monday, October 3, 2016 Alfond Family Dining Hall at The Governor's Academy was recently certified as a 3 Star Certified Green Restaurant® by the Green Restaurant Association (GRA), a national nonprofit organization helping restaurants to become more environmentally sustainable. Receiving 197.67 GreenPoints™ on the GRA’s rigorous certification scale and having implemented 52 environmental steps, Alfond Family Dining Hall at The Governor's Academy has gone 97% above and beyond the minimum requirements necessary for Certification.
ALFOND FAMILY DINING HALL AT THE GOVERNOR'S ACADEMY’S GREENPOINTS™ SUMMARY
Furnishing & Building
Chemical & Pollution
TOTAL ENVIRONMENTAL STEPS 52
Highlights of Green Accomplishments:
- No use of polystyrene foam (aka Styrofoam™)
- Comprehensive recycling and composting program, which can keep over 75,000 lbs of trash out of the landfill each year
- Over 55% of our main dishes are vegetarian
- Energy Star kitchen equipment
To See Alfond Family Dining Hall at The Governor's Academy's Detailed Green Label and all their environmental steps, click here.
Dining Services Sustainability Initiatives
- "Trayless” dining reduced food waste by approximately 10%.
- Dining Services recycles paper, paperboard, aluminum, glass, and plastic.
- Waste cooking oil is diverted and recycled for bio-fuel.
- Dining Services eliminated bottled water at graduation and high tea and replaced with infused water station, eliminating 15oo bottles per event per year.
- Dining Services uses reusable dinnerware.
- Lighting in dining spaces is high efficiency and programed to turn off automatically in the evenings during unoccupied times.
- Converted from water cooled to air cooled refrigeration.
- Cage free shell eggs.
- Rainforest Alliance certified coffee.
- 100% fruit juice juices.
- Organic tofu
- Organic soy milk
- Organic rice milk
- Milk from cows raised without the use of growth hormones.
- Local apples in season – Cider Hill Farm, Amesbury, MA.
- Local produce in season when available.
- Local, organic granola – Grandy Oats, Brownfield, Maine.
- Local bread – Fantini, Haverhill.
- Local hummus, Wraps – Cedar’s, Ward Hill, MA.
- Local milk – Garelick Farms, Lynn, MA.
- Local pizza dough, sauce – It’ll Be Pizza, Portland Maine.
- Local bakery mixes, Bake-n-Joy, N. Andover, MA.
- Local seafood – North Coast Seafood, Boston
- Local yogurt - Stonyfield Farm, Londonderry, NH
- Paper plates, made from compostable material.
- Napkins that are Green Seal Certified, 100% recovered materials, minimum 50% post-consumer and non-bleached.
- Clear plastic cups, 100% corn based, compostable